‘Tis the season. Now that the weather has decided it’s offically winter, what’s the best way to celebrate the season? Going to see The Nutcracker, of course.? Along with an annual viewing of the Baryshnikov/Kirkland version via dvd (classic!), The Joffrey’s Nutcracker hits the classical tradition spot. From the live children’s choir to the giant Mother Ginger puppet, the sweet innocence of Clara to the technically brillant pas de deux, Robert Joffrey’s adaptation will take your breath away.
- the magical transition (aided by Drosselmeyer) of the Nutcracker from toy to live soldier
- the hilarious Mouse King
- the moment when the Nutcracker turns into the prince at the beginning of the Snow Scene (goose bumps!)
- Arabian variation (ridiculous flexibility – a Joffrey trademark)
- Chinese variation (pay attention!? there’s only two of them, but wow!)
- the adorable gingerbread doll in Mother Ginger (“Gingey”?)
- Waltz of the Flowers? (best version ever)
Preview Pics! Here are some fabulous photos taken by Herbert Migdoll.
December 11 – 27
www.ticketmaster.com, 1.800.982.ARTS (2787)
Joffrey Tower Box Office, 10 E Randolph, open 12-6pm: M-F
Auditorium Theatre Box Office, 50 E Congress, open 12-6pm: M-F